Like many actors, Saif too didn’t have a memorable beginning in bollywood.
In his initial days, he was just perceived as an another wannabe from a filmi family, her mother being a yesteryear’s superstar.
He was seen in shabby clothes and long hair in his initial films and was often mocked for his voice and accent.
A columnist once said, “give saif a duppata and he would look like sharmila.”
He was considered good only for playing sidekicks to the established film stars.
But like all great men, Saif too took the criticism constructively and worked on his flaws.
And when the media almost wrote him off the bollywood map, he was again seen in a all new different avatar with a new found confidence.Dil Chahta Hai changed it all for him and then there was no looking back for him.
He churned out great performances one after another and proved to be one of the most versatile actors ever witnessed by bollywood.
A list of performances showing his wide range of versatility :
1. Dil Chahta Hai : As aamir and akshaye’s friend in the film, Saif was adorable. He brought in a lot of fresh energy with him and his comic timing was impeccable and his performance spontaneous, and the critics sat up and took notice of this amazing actor’s fresh innings in bollywood.
2. Ek Hasina thi : While every one thought that saif could only do chocolate boy roles, he gave them a bummer with his strong performance as an evil guy in this sriram’s dark thriller. And his performance was critically appreciated.
3. Hum Tum : Saif’s first big hit as a Solo Hero, gave him recognition with the masses and he made it to the A list actors. He got a National Award for this film.
4. Parineeta : As a man who presumes his childhood love is cheating on him with another man, Saif gave a matured performance and his growth as an actor could be easily seen. He was a treat to watch in this period drama.
5. Kal Ho Naa Ho : Saif had a supporting role in the film and was pitted against Shahrukh Khan, still he made this role memorable and his standing as a bankable star got stronger. He was equally good in emotional as well as comic sequences.
6. Omkara : If after Gabbar singh, u can think of any villian who had more impact than the hero, it has to be Langda Tyagi, hands down. Saif as the evil Iago frm Othello, gave his best performance so far. He was the highlight of the film and overshadowed everyone else in the film. This film cemented Saif’s position as the most versatile actor in today’s time.
7. Love Aaj Kal : Saif turned producer with this film and played two different characters. His Romantic side was in full display as the cute looking turban wearing sardarji and as a modern man in a long distance relationship. He was a breath of fresh air in this imitiaz ali directed film.
8. Race : Saif was again the central attraction of this glamorous film, his performance was good and the film was a huge hit. He looked hot and gace bipasha and katrina a run for their money in the looks department.And the list goes on and on.
Saif as a star!
Saif has had his fair share of flops too. But he has showcased a wide variety of roles in those films too.
Also, Saif is also one of the most prominent faces in Indian Advertisement market, with him endorsing a large range of products and holding a significant percentage of the market share.
Saif has all what it takes to be a superstar, yet his name is not spoken in the same breath as the other 3 khans – Aamir, Shahrukh and Salman.
I think he is India’s answer to Johnny Depp.
What do you think of him as an actor and ur favorite Saif’s performance so far??